Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 4

Today I finished going through all 38 (!!!) data tables in the Hurricane Sandy data set. I've been figuring out what is being shown by each one and how I can visualize it. From there I selected the ones that I think will work best for my info graphic. I'm starting from the data table I was looking at before (see Day 2 post). So far I've created 2 visuals:

1. A map showing all the sampling sites with color representing region, and size signifying the total amount of flood damage done to a business at each site. If you hover over each point, you can see the total damage for the different types of businesses.
https://public.tableau.com/views/7-2Data/Sheet1?:embed=y&:showTabs=y&:display_count=yes


2. A tree diagram with all the sample sites color coded by region. Size represents the total amount of flood damage per sample site.
https://public.tableau.com/views/SummaryoftotalcountsofNewJerseyandNewYorkbusinessesinundatedbyfloodwatersresultingfromHurricaneSandy/Treemap?:embed=y&:showTabs=y&:display_count=yes


I am going to continue to work on both of these, and then add them to a dashboard where I am going to start putting my info graphic together.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive work Sasha! It takes a lot of time, energy, and patience to get through all the data tables given all the sciency jargon in it. I'm glad you went through the whole dataset to figure out which ones you want to focus on.

    Again, try to create a screenshot of the visualization to include in your post here so that we can see the awesome visual progress you are making.

    I'm glad that you are creating these dashboards to bring together the different interactive graphs. I think this will help you figure out what the story is from the data we have.

    I think it will be great to also explore ways of integrating other datasets into these visualizations to show other (possibly unexpected) correlations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first map you linked to color codes the hover circles by region, which does not seem to me an effective use of color, since we can already determine their location much more effectively by their position on the map. Using color for something like total damage from the storm in dollars would seem to me a much better way to utilize color in a map like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the 2nd map the use of color by region makes much more sense! Interesting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jeff, instead of using color to determine region since this is already visualized using a map, it might be better to use color to distinguish types of businesses that were damaged.

    ReplyDelete