Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 6

Today I created another dashboard. I attempted to embed it into this blog post, but I built it in a format that was too wide, so I couldn't get it to work without messing up the view. However, for the future I hope to figure out a way for anyone to be able to interact with my visuals right from my blog page, without having to go to the Tableau website.
Here's the link for my newest project:
https://public.tableau.com/views/sewerDashboard/Dashboard2?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y

And this is a screenshot of it:
For this dashboard I was working with a data table about the number of flooded combined sewer outfalls (CSOs) and sewage-treatment plants (STPs) versus the number that were not flooded as a result of Hurricane Sandy. The map in the top left is colored by region. The relative size of each bubble-point is determined by the total number of flooded sewer facilities at each sample site. The bar chart focuses on the regions as a whole rather than each sample site. Each region has its own mini bar chart, with the length of the red bar representing the number of flooded combined sewer outfalls, the green being the number of combined sewer outfalls that were not flooded, and the orange is the number of flooded sewage-treatment plants. Interestingly, there was only one flooded sewage-treatment plant at one sample site. The pie charts on the bottom left give insight into how the amount of damage per sample site in each region contributes to the total amount of flooded CSOs and STPs. If you hover over each slice of pie, the percentage of the total appears in the tooltip. The pie chart on the right is similar, but focuses more on how the overall regions relate to each other.

I also got the chance to attend Code for NOVA tonight, and there I met with my mentor to discuss my work and plan future projects. As much as I've enjoyed working with Tableau Public and Hurricane Sandy data, I plan to expand my horizons and try some new data sets (next up, rare earth elements!), as well as software (CartoDB and ESRI story maps). 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! You are definitely making the most of your PRIME experience, Sasha, expanding your knowledge and experience into a very important area of IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dashboards are really great! I think you have done a good job in showing how quick and easy it is to get started with these visualization tools.

    Again, I think it would be better to use color for other attributes of the data, not the location especially if you include a map as one of the visualizations.

    And good job in explaining your progress!

    ReplyDelete