Monday, June 29, 2015

PRIME IT Internship Day 1

Greetings!
For the next month or so I will be working on a project for my internship in collaboration with the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The goal is to create better ways of visualizing data to make it more user-friendly. We examined some of the info graphics that USGS currently uses, and many haven't been updated recently and can be further improved upon. I'm really excited to be working with cool software to create maps and other visuals.


As a general assessment of today's work, it was a good start! I've begun figuring out Cesium, which is a tool for creating interactive 3D maps and graphics. I hit kind of a rough patch early on with setting it up and trying to execute a program. However, the answer is probably right in front of me, so I'll just have to come back to it. I'll planning to also work with D3, which uses JavaScript with data manipulation as well.


So yeah, this should be fun! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your first day of your internship. I'm glad you have started to explore the D3 and Cesium javascript libraries. As you explore these tools more, feel free to share other examples you might find online of visualizations you would like to create or just interesting visualizations you happen to come across.

    Also, maybe you would be interested in attending this DC learn.js Meetup Group or the many other Tech-related Meetups: http://www.meetup.com/DC-learn-js/

    During your first week of the internship, we will work on narrowing down what type of project you will focus on. Try to think of what kind of meaningful stories we can potentially tell from the USGS minerals datasets. At the same time, think of what skills and tools you want to gain during the internship. Share this as blog posts throughout this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, D3 looks really cool (I just visited http://d3js.org/)! I'm about to start a related investigation with the LearnOSM tutorial (http://learnosm.org/en/). It will be fun to compare notes as we go.

    ReplyDelete